Friday 15 November 2013

Central Line Wanderings (Part 1 of Many)

What a wonderful day to be on the railways it was today. The sun was shining brightly and I sat very happily on the train into London between Roding Valley (ROV) and Woodford (WOO) enjoying the beautiful view of the suburbs. So I decided that, after class, I'd take the scenic route home and go on a little trip around my favourite parts of the east end of the Central line, as it was such a good day for it.

Anyway, before we go into that:

When I got to sleepy ROV this morning I saw on the dot matrix indicator:

1 Not in Service 6 mins
2 Woodford 9 mins

I was hoping the not in service train would be the RAT and I'd have another RAT sighting to tell you about. For all I know it was the RAT, but after a number of alternations between it being 6 minutes away and 5 minutes away, and with the WOO train catching up, eventually "information update" flashed on the screen and the indicator changed to show the WOO train due before the one that was not in service. So I didn't see the RAT again today, but I did see something else, which we'll come to.

Apart from that, the journey in to Euston Sq. was not very eventful. One thing I did notice was that while we were waiting at STR (Stratford) westbound the doors only opened on the left hand side. For probably about 20 seconds plus we were sat there like that, until the doors on the right hand side opened. Not sure if there was a problem, but it wasn't really a big deal if there was.

The return journey was much more interesting however. As we left King's X for Farringdon, I spotted a track recording train heading in the other direction. Track recording trains, like RATs, are pretty unimaginatively named and, as you might have guessed, they are used to record various aspects of the track itself. This is, ultimately, to check that all is well with the railway and spot any problems that may need to be addressed. Unfortunately, I'm not that "clued-up" on London Underground's departmental stock, but I'm pretty sure there are a number of different track recording trains in use by London Underground. The one I saw was, I believe, converted from 1960 stock (and (I think) one car of converted 1973 stock, which is the trailer car and actually houses the equipment, unless I'm much mistaken. The 1973 stock are, of course, still in use on the Piccadilly line):

London Underground track recording train, formed of converted 1960 stock. Seen here at Whitechapel. (Image courtesy of "mattbuck" (via Wikipedia))
Interestingly, like the 1962 stock I saw yesterday, the 1960 stock used to be used on the Central line. The relatively few motor cars which were built were originally used in conjunction with modernised standard stock trailers. (That's to say that the 1960 stock actually only consisted of motored driving cars, with the non-motorised trailer cars having to be made up from other stock). "Standard stock" is a rather unhelpful name, which was given to a range of trains used on the Underground which were built between 1923 and 1934. Originally intended to be used across the Central line, few 1960 stock trains were ever actually built, with 1962 stock being used instead, due to the potential pain of replacing the standard stock trailers. Eventually these ageing standard stock cars had to be replaced, anyway, and 1938 stock trains were used for the job. This 1938-1960 stock configuration was the one used until the 1960 stock was withdrawn with the introduction of 1992 stock.

Although not very plentiful, the 1960 stock was very important. It did, originally, operate across the whole central line, but was ultimately relegated to use on the WOO-HAI (Woodford-Hainault) shuttle and the Epping-Ongar service (more on that in a bit). Nevertheless, the WOO-HAI section was used to test the first ATO (Automatic Train Operation) system before it was installed on the brand new Victoria line.

Anyway, as well as the track recording train, I also passed two S stock trains which were not in service on my way to LIS (Liverpool Street). I don't know what was happening on the sub-surface lines today, but something was clearly going on.

So anyway, my adventure. I got on a Central line train at LIS which (at last :P) was bound for LOU (Loughton). I had planned to go up to EPP (Epping) and could have stayed on it, but I wasn't sure if I would bother and decided to do the HAI loop first, giving myself the option to get off at ROV if I wanted to. So I changed at LES (Leytonstone) for a train that was going to HAI via NEP. Although the section between LES and NEP has three very nice intermediate stations (and the tunnel itself is of interest - mostly built before the outbreak of WWII, the tunnel was used as a munitions factory between 1942 and the end of the war), I was really looking forward to getting out in the sunlight. NEP to HAI is a lovely section of track, it really is. Looking out on the right hand side of the train you can see across parks and golf courses for miles into the distance. Canary Wharf is visible (although the sunlight was obscuring it today) and so is the most wonderful landscape of wooded hills.

I had a fair wait of about 13 minutes at HAI. While I was there, I noticed that the train in platform 1 wasn't moving when its signal had cleared and the dot-matrix indicator was indicating it was due to leave. Indeed, it sat there for quite a while until I saw its T/Op (Train Operator) making his way across the bridge. Not quite greyhound out of a trap, there, but it didn't seem to affect anything. Maybe the clocks in HAI crew depot are a little slow :P

Anyway, not long after, my WOO train arrived. Between HAI (always a bumpy ride on the way out - not entirely sure why) and GRH (Grange Hill) there are magnificent views of the Hainault depot, which it's always a treat to see. Then, I think GRH to CHI (Chigwell) is one of my very favourite sections of track. Admittedly, there's a fairly long tunnel, but once you get out of that, you head through a lovely, somehow secluded area of trees. With an ancient footbridge between the two stations, and CHI itself:
Chigwell station, note the disused parts of the platforms in the foreground. (Image courtesy of "Sunil060902" (via Wikipedia))
The distinctly quaint Chigwell. (Image courtesy of "Sunil060902" (via Wikipedia))
I often feel like, if it weren't for the train itself, and some of the electronics along the way, you could almost be on some Victorian steam train plying its way through the countryside. Anyway, much as it is in need of a lick of pain, perhaps, I have a real soft spot for CHI. Not sure why, but it might just be my favourite station.

CHI-ROV is also a stunning bit of track. When the trees clear just outside CHI you can again enjoy fabulous views of the city to one side, the suburbs to another, a rather nice lake and the M11 (I think?) as you head over it.

After that it was back over those metals I know so well (still not bored of it) into WOO, across the footbridge onto eastbound platform 3 and onto another LOU train. I thought I might as well take the chance to have a look round LOU, which is also a lovely place to be and fully deserving of its listed status.
Loughton with its striking platform shelters. (Image courtesy of "Sunil060902" (via Wikipedia))
Before that, however, I wanted to take my first look at Buckhurst Hill after its platforms had a bit of work done. Any regular users of the Central line are probably aware that most of the east end of the Central line was suspended over four recent weekends. Mostly, this was for track work at LES, but they also took the chance to work on the platforms at BUH. Work appears to still be ongoing, but the platforms certainly look spruced up. Still, BUH, like a few of my beloved Central line's stations, I'm sorry to say, is in definite need of a bit of paint and a scrub.

After a brief nose around LOU I got the next EPP train along perhaps my favourite section of the Central line (sc. LOU-EPP). Well, to be fair, LOU-DEB is not quite as good, but DEB up to EPP is about 6 and a half minutes of rolling fields and very pleasant greenery indeed. A very nice sight to see from a Central line train on a wonderfully sunny afternoon.

At EPP I had a little wonder up to the end of the platform, where the old tracks which used to go up to Ongar can still be seen. I think there might once have been a siding there too. Anyway, after years of peak hours only operation, this section of the line was finally closed in 1994 due to lack of use. In fact, one station on the line - Blake Hall - was closed in 1981. Wikipedia gives us the rather surprising statistic that, when it was closed, it saw use by just six people a day. Apparently, they were persistent, though, because wiki also carries the rumour that a well-worded request to the driver could get the train to stop there, even after it was closed. As such, the platforms were removed. The station building still exists and has been converted into a private house. In fact, I believe I went to visit it as a child - my parents wanting to buy it. At the time I wasn't really aware of what I was looking at, though.

These days (and back when my parents were thinking of buying Blake Hall (the noise and vibration was something that really put them off)), the Epping Ongar Railway exists. This is a heritage railway, which runs trains (some of which are steam trains; in fact, the line to Ongar was opened in 1865 by the Great Eastern Railway long before the Central London Railway (the precursor to the Central line) and it was originally operated by steam trains) between Ongar and North Weald and North Weald and Coopersale. Trains do not continue to EPP, for the Central line needs the platforms, the tracks are not in good condition and I'm not sure if the infrastructure could allow it these days, even on paper. Instead you have to get the rest of the way by bus. These services are operated by volunteers on weekends and bank holidays.

So, after a little look at the very grassy old trackbed, I headed back home for a cup of tea :P

And that's where I'll leave it, happy travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment